- 10 years of language teaching experience
- Former Mandarin language TV anchor
- B.A. in classical Chinese literature and music performance
- Language teacher and Music Director, Chinese American Arts Council
- I have taught business people, college students, teachers, teenagers, attorneys, journalists and others... from age 14 to 70.
- Experience teaching classes for companies and organizations.
- English-Chinese document translation
My name is Byron Wu (Jianhua Wu in Chinese). I grew up surrounded by Chinese art and culture. My father is a novelist and essay writer and my mother has had a distinguished career as a concert musician and literature professor.
Career in China
After graduating from Henan University, I edited a journal of Chinese poetry called "黃河魂" (Spirit of the Yellow River) for three years. I left that job to become the host of a weekly arts and culture program at a local TV Station in Beijing. Two years later, I moved to the Zhengzhou Educational Television Network.
Classical Pipa Performance
I began studying the pipa with my mother when I was six years old and have been performing in public from the age of seven. The music featured on this page comes from an album that I recorded in China.
In December of 1999, I moved to New York and became music director, performer and Mandarin teacher at the Chinese American Arts Council. In 2000, I started giving private language lessons.